Bleats

Jacob Elordi Says The Obsession With His Body 'Really Fkn Bothered Him'

“I don’t identify with that whatsoever."

Women in Hollywood have long suffered under the pressure to look ‘perfect’ and live up to unrealistic standards of beauty. However, many high profile men also struggle with the same body image issues – including The Kissing Booth star Jacob Elordi.

In a recent interview with Men’s Health, Elordi said the attention that was placed on his looks – and specifically, his body – when he was cast in The Kissing Booth “really f*cking bothered” him. Hear all about it below:

“I trained extensively for the first film, because it said it in the script,” Elordi said. “I was so terribly nervous that I wouldn’t be what the script wanted me to be.”

“At the time, I was super young and got thrown into a world where everyone wanted to talk about my body… it really f*cking bothered me,” he revealed. “I don’t identify with that whatsoever. I was trying to prove myself and be known as an actor. It was so much working out and I hated every second of it.” 

Credit: Netflix

Elordi told Men’s Health he chose not to train at all for The Kissing Booth 2 and now focuses more on yoga and pilates “as a tool to stay centred and grounded in the midst of all the tumult in the world.”

It’s a shame Jacob Elordi felt the need to fit his body to the ‘perfect’ mould for his role in the film, but it’s not the first time a male celeb has been objectified in the limelight. 

In a 2013 interview with Sunday Style, Twilight actor Robert Pattinson revealed he has struggled with “body dysmorphia, overall tremendous anxiety” since skyrocketing to international fame.

“I suppose it’s because of these tremendous insecurities that I never found a way to become egotistical. I don’t have a six-pack and I hate going to the gym. I’ve been like that my whole life. I never want to take my shirt off. I’d prefer to get drunk,” he said.

Then there are the high profile men who have dealt with body-shaming trolls, including Noah Centineo and Jason Momoa – who copped ridiculous “dad bod” claims last year.

It’s important to remember that although celebrities are incredibly talented, famous and often genetically-blessed – they aren’t projections of what society deems ‘perfection’ and the sooner we realise that, the less pressure everyone will face.

Always be in the loop with our snackable podcast breaking the biggest story of the day. Subscribe to It’s Been A Big Day For… on your favourite podcast app.

The World's Patience With Influencers Is Wearing Thin Amidst The Pandemic

"Please stop for a second and think."

The global pandemic has resulted in record job losses, fear, uncertainty and challenging times for many of us. It has also impacted the livelihoods of influencers, who make a quick buck by promoting brands and products on their social media platforms. However, with many brands reluctant to spend money on advertising during the pandemic, influencers have been left high and dry and resorting to some questionable tactics to keep the money coming in.

Aussie Instagram influencer Miann Scanlan landed in hot water this week when she sent out an 11-page marketing proposal to PR agencies offering “an opportunity for brands to gain access to her stories free of charge through birthday gift story unboxings.” She said the first Instagram story would be free until August 7th, and then any additional post would cost $50 per story. 

According to the Daily Telegraph, one publicist labelled Scanlan’s proposal “really distasteful” given the current circumstances and that many businesses are struggling to make ends meet amidst the pandemic.

Following the backlash, Scanlan told her 48.6K Instagram followers she resigned from her full time job earlier this year which was “bad timing as the pandemic hit just after.” The Brisbane-based influencer said she began shooting Instagram content “with hopes to secure paid campaigns,” and that her proposal was merely a way to “reconnect” with old and new PR agencies.

“I have a platform with the ability to boost enquiries and sales for businesses and brands with the potential to also generate income for myself, so why should I be any different?” she ended her lengthy post.

While it appears Scanlan’s ‘I’ll scratch your back, if you scratch mine’ strategy backfired, this isn’t the first time brands, businesses and agencies have gone head-to-head with social media influencers amidst the pandemic. 

Speaking of influencers, hear Martha from Married at First get real about reality TV below:

In April, New Zealand patisserie and dessert restaurant Miann, took to Instagram to call out influencers directly. “Dear influencer,” the post begins. “Before you send that email asking us to ‘collab’ with you in return for free products to post on your social pages, PLEASE STOP FOR A SECOND AND THINK.”

“Think about the restaurateurs, food producers, that have had ZERO income for a month, the possibility of 50% drop in revenue for the next few months. Think about the PEOPLE whom you are asking for stuff for free from, to boost your own profile,” they wrote. 

“It’s time for you to bring value to your local businesses and go order some food from your favourite places, pay for it, post it, feel good about it. You just helped a small business!”

It was a similar story after actor Harry Cook DM’ed P&V Wine + Liquor Merchants in Sydney looking for a “collab”. Cook asked the business if they’d consider “sending a complimentary case once a month in exchange for some social media promotion?”

The 29-year-old actor was quickly shut down by P&V, who said his message was “totally uncool.”

“We’re in here working our asses off to support a near-devastated hospitality industry with ramifications on primary producers and winemakers who are at the brink in a destroyed industry and you want a free dozen wines a month for social posts? Nah,” they responded.

All of the above is a perfect lesson in reading the room, and realising the reality of the world we’re living in at the moment. 

Always be in the loop with our snackable podcast breaking the biggest story of the day. Subscribe to It’s Been A Big Day For… on your favourite podcast app.

Johnny Depp And Amber Heard’s Court Battle Was An Emotional Rollercoaster

They've been battling for years.

After years of battling it out in court, it seems as though the savage Johnny Depp and Amber Heard saga might be finally coming to an end. Hear all about it below:

This week – on the final day of Depp’s libel suit against UK publication The Sun – Heard delivered a powerful speech to the press and public. “After obtaining a restraining order in 2016 and finalising my divorce, I just wanted to move on my life. I did not file this lawsuit and, despite its significance, I would have preferred not to be here in court.”

“It has been incredibly painful to relive the break up of my relationship, have my motives and my truth questioned, and the most traumatic and intimate details of my life with Johnny shared in court and broadcast around the world,” she said, despite boos and shouts of “justice for Johnny” from onlookers. 

So, how did this messy court battle begin?

Heard and Depp wed in a private ceremony in 2015 and apart from their dog-related biosecurity breach in Australia and infamous apology video, things seemed to be going well for the newlyweds.

However, just one year after tying the knot, Heard filed for divorce and for a temporary restraining order against Johnny. The actress claimed he physically abused her and after a lot of ‘he said, she said’, Depp paid Heard a settlement $7M, and the pair finalised their divorce in 2017. Heard reportedly donated most of the money to charity.

But, that wasn’t the end of the nightmare.

In 2018 – at the peak of the #MeToo movement – Heard wrote an op-ed for the Washington Post about her being a survivor of domestic abuse. While Heard never specifically named Depp in the piece, he sued her for $50M for defamation. 

Two years on, and what must’ve been some incredibly expensive court proceedings, Depp filed a libel suit against The Sun over a 2018 article in which the publication called him a “wife beater”.

During the three-week trial, Depp and Heard made some shocking allegations against each other. Depp alleged that Heard had defecated in their bed, punched him and had affairs with everyone from James Franco to Elon Musk. On the other hand, Heard accused Depp of physically abusing her, throwing a phone at her face, leaving her bruised and even threatening to kill her on multiple occasions.

It’s distressing to think Johnny Depp and Amber Heard officially split up in 2017 but they’re still battling it out in court three years on. Sadly, it doesn’t sound like anyone is going to come out of this saga unscathed, and ultimately, there will be no winners. 

If you, or anyone you know is experiencing domestic abuse, contact Lifeline on 13 11 14 or 1800 RESPECT for support.

Always be in the loop with our snackable podcast breaking the biggest story of the day. Subscribe to It’s Been A Big Day For… on your favourite podcast app.

Pop-up Channel

Follow Us