With a movie as stuffed as Avengers: Endgame is, there’s bound to be a bunch of things that got cut out due to various reasons. One of these deleted scenes happens to involve Gwyneth Paltrow and it was cut because of the reasons you probably expect from her.
CNET reports that scene in question is titled “Goji Berries” and it gives us a look into Tony Stark and Pepper Potts’ married life. Not much happens besides a bit of mundane chat about their alpaca Gerald and, uh, Tony’s taste for Pepper’s goji berries.
It’s pretty clear that this scene didn’t really add much to the film’s narrative beyond some character moments, but one gets the feeling that there’s another reason why this scene was cut.
You see, Gwyneth happens to sell goji berries on her Goop website. So while the scene apparently shows Tony and Pepper’s idyllic life, it’s quite obviously nothing more than Gwyneth plugging weird crap from her side hustle.
There’s clearly a conflict of interest there and Marvel probably didn’t want the goji berry loving market cutting into Endgame‘s business hence why the scene was cut.
Beyond Gwyneth’s shameless goji berry plugging, there were five other scenes that were cut out of Endgame. These include:
- An extended Tony Stark death scene
- Rhodey and Steve Rogers talking about why he had to crash the plane at the end of Captain America: The First Avenger, which is actually a very good point and another story for another day
- Rocket Raccoon bagging out the Avengers’ efforts against the Chitauri in the first Avengers film before Tony gets revenge by shaving off a strip of the trash panda’s fur
- An extended Bro Thor and Rocket scene on Asgard
- An extra scene of Tony with his father during the 1970 sequence
All these scenes are interesting but were all understandably cut in order to keep Endgame‘s already-mammoth runtime to a more manageable length.
To be honest, it’s a bit of a shame to miss out on Gwyneth’s goji berry love, mainly because it’s just so shameless. Not that she would remember anything from her time with Marvel anyway.